You are here

Castro de Póvoa de Lanhoso (PT)

Open from: 
1990
Member of EXARC: 
No
Member of ICOM: 
No

In 1938, roadworks were undertaken on the northern slope leading to the important medieval Lanhoso Castle and the Nossa Senhora do Pilar sanctuary. Here, they uncovered a castro, used from the Late Bronze Age up until the Roman Era.

This hill controlled an important area of the Ave valley, the connections between the central area of the Bracari territory to the Barroso high plane. Various expensive metal artefacts were uncovered which now are on display at the “Museu D. Diogo de Sousa” in Braga. The hill fort was classified as a Public Interest Site in 1940. This specific castro clarifies the relationship between the hill forts located on the coastal strip and great river mouths, and the interior mountainous areas.

At present, several Iron Age structures are presented. They consist of circular dwellings and some paved surfaces that correspond to the courtyards of the residential compounds. One family unit consisting of a familiar circular dwelling and vestibule was reconstructed by the municipality, The works were led by Armandinho Cunha.
Country: 

Location

Museu D. Diogo de Sousa Rua dos Bombeiros Voluntários
4700-025 Braga
Portugal
Phone: 
(351) 253-273706
Javascript is required to view this map.
© by: EXARC since 2001. All rights reserved